Skip to the main content
A- A+ Text sizeMy Inquilab

Brexit: Apply for 'Settled Status' before 30 June deadline!


20th June 2021

If you are not a British citizen or have indefinite leave to remain in the UK, and you wish to remain a resident tenant, you need to apply for ‘settled status’ before 30 June 2021. Failure to have the correct legal documentation and status will put your tenancy and home at risk. Please see the guidance below.

For more information and how to apply, visit or contact us via our Residents Portal here.



Except in a few cases, you need to apply if:

The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

This means you need to apply even if you:

If you have children, you need to apply for them separately.

If you’re an EUEEA or Swiss citizen and you have a family member who is an eligible person of Northern Ireland, you may be able to choose which way you apply.

You can apply to join your EUEEA or Swiss family member if they started living in the UK by 31 December 2020. You can either:

  • apply from outside the UK, if you have a certain type of passport, identity card or residence document
  • come to the UK on an EU Settlement Scheme family permit and apply to the settlement scheme once you’re here

You cannot apply to the EU settlement scheme from inside the UK if you arrived after 31 December 2020 and you’re here:

  • on a Standard Visitor visa, Permitted Paid Engagement visa, Parent of a Child Student visa or Transit visa
  • without a visa, for example if you came through an e-passport gate

You also cannot apply if you’re here on a Marriage Visitor visa, unless you’re applying after you have married or entered into a civil partnership with the EUEEA or Swiss person you’re joining.

Irish citizens do not need to apply to the settlement scheme. If they choose to, they can apply from within the UK regardless of how they entered.


If you’re not an EUEEA or Swiss citizen:

You also may be able to apply if:

  • you used to have an EUEEA or Swiss family member living in the UK (but you’ve separated, they’ve died or the family relationship has broken down)
  • you’re the family member of a British citizen and you lived outside the UK in an EEA country together
  • you’re the family member of a British citizen who also has EUEEA or Swiss citizenship and who lived in the UK as an EUEEA or Swiss citizen before getting British citizenship
  • you have a family member who is an eligible person of Northern Ireland
  • you’re the primary carer of a British, EUEEA or Swiss citizen
  • you’re the child of an EUEEA or Swiss citizen who used to live and work in the UK, or the child’s primary carer
  • you’re the family member of a ‘frontier worker’


You do not need to apply if you have:


If you’re an EUEEA or Swiss citizen and you moved to the UK before it joined the EU

You only need to apply if you do not have indefinite leave to remain. If you do have indefinite leave to remain, you’ll usually have a stamp in your passport or a letter from the Home Office saying this.


If you work in the UK but do not live here (‘frontier worker’)

You do not need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you’re a ‘frontier worker’ or have a Frontier Worker permit.


You cannot apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. You do not need to do anything to continue living in the UK while you’re exempt from immigration control.

You’ll have been told if you’re exempt from immigration control, for example because you’re:

  • a foreign diplomat posted in the UK
  • a member of NATO

Your family members may also be exempt from immigration control. If they are not, they may be eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you and your family members stop being exempt, for example if you change jobs, you will usually need to apply to the scheme within 90 days. If you stop being exempt after 30 June 2021, you’ll be able to apply after the deadline of 30 June 2021, as long as you were living in the UK by 31 December 2020.

Related Categories